50s skirt & 30s blouse

plousia

Registered Guest
These are a couple of my favourite recent finds - mostly because they fit me, so they're keepers.

I think I might have found the pattern used for the skirt, or at least one very similar, from 1953: https://copa.apps.uri.edu/garment.php?patID=46728&page=1. It's in perfect condition.

I just love the colours and pattern of the blouse. I thought it was silk, but someone told me it might be rayon. I believe the buttons are Bakelite, but haven't tested them. I wish they still made clothes like this - the prints were so beautiful. I'm a little afraid to wear it tbh, so I'm putting it here for posterity in case it falls apart, LOL.

IMG_8827.jpg
IMG_8785.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely!!! I love the colors of that blouse!
Amazing that you found the pattern used for the skirt. What fun.

When I'm afraid to wear a keeper, I put it away until it loses the value of the find. Then, 6 months later, I'm less afraid of wearing. Well, and if it isn't worn within 2 years, I have to seriously consider moving it along, unless it is a special occasion garment that hasn't had the occasion arrive, yet. Also, it feel fantastic to wear vintage! People ask where you bought it, and you're like - I thrifted it, it's 70 years old! Which is really fun to then tell people. I have some pieces that I've resewn the underarms at least ten times. One blouse I got for $5 and I cannot tell you how many tears it's been through and I refuse to throw it out. I can't sell it. But, it's one of those really comfy short-sleeved workwear blouses, that can be hard to find, so I cannot toss it until a breast breaks free. My veterinarian even complimented me on it. And, it is literally, "Oh, this old thing?" So, the wear and tear - that is inevitable, will happen, eventually. But, your enjoyment of the garment will encourage you to repair and rewear and keep it til you're done. Can you tell I never throw anything out? My partner cut the sleeves off a jean jacket, and I'm keeping those sleeves for mending purposes. Great finds! Definitely boosts the ego when the thrifting gods throw a few your direction that are your size.

When I'm afraid to wear a keeper, I put it away until it loses the value of the find. Then, 6 months later, I'm less afraid of wearing. Well, and if it isn't worn within 2 years, I have to seriously consider moving it along, unless it is a special occasion garment that hasn't had the occasion arrive, yet. Also, it feel fantastic to wear vintage! People ask where you bought it, and you're like - I thrifted it, it's 70 years old! Which is really fun to then tell people. I have some pieces that I've resewn the underarms at least ten times. One blouse I got for $5 and I cannot tell you how many tears it's been through and I refuse to throw it out. I can't sell it. But, it's one of those really comfy short-sleeved workwear blouses, that can be hard to find, so I cannot toss it until a breast breaks free. My veterinarian even complimented me on it. And, it is literally, "Oh, this old thing?" So, the wear and tear - that is inevitable, will happen, eventually. But, your enjoyment of the garment will encourage you to repair and rewear and keep it til you're done. Can you tell I never throw anything out? My partner cut the sleeves off a jean jacket, and I'm keeping those sleeves for mending purposes. Great finds! Definitely boosts the ego when the thrifting gods throw a few your direction that are your size.

Great perspective! I do also tend to mend things endlessly. The edges of the French seams of the blouse are fraying. Someone ran a line of overlocking around the armscye seams for that reason at one point. I'm thinking of taking it to my seamstress to do the same on all the seams, but I'm a little afraid to let it out of my sight, LOL.

say, plousia, can you add an image of a close up of one of those buttons and the print of the blouse? i'm curious to see it closer, if possile! :)

Here are a couple of the print and a button, as well as the size label. Sadly someone cut out what I guess must have been the brand label.

Attachments

• IMG_8866.jpg
    IMG_8866.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8868.jpg
    IMG_8868.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8869.jpg
    IMG_8869.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 63
Back