60s Western Shirt

RustySpurVintage

Registered Guest
Howdy! Love this western shirt. Feels like rayon. Small collar. It is missing the brand tag. It just has this tag that says, "Permanent Press Oven Baked Process Never Needs Ironing." Trying to determine the brand based only on this. Found another shirt with the exact same tag...and it also was missing the brand tag! Ha! Must have been very poor glue. Does this look familiar to anyone? (The buttons say "RAU Klikit" and "_ _ _ F, Co. Prov. R.I." ---can't read the first 3 letters. Think this is just the button manufacturer and probably can't help.)

Attachments

• western1.JPG
    western1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 345
  • western2.JPG
    western2.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 348
oooo, good one, Adam! love those colors! and the narrow collar, too. nice peaked pockets, peak yokes. Rau Klikit is a good brand of snap, the one that H Bar C almost always used, but that doesn't look like an H Bar C, to me with the oven baked label where it is.

there were a ton of great western shirt manufacturers, Panhandle Slim was another of my favorites, but typically they'd use their label more prominently, too, rather than placing the oven baked one that high, as well.

it is a great one. what's the chest measurement? typically, the larger the better on these. oh, also, on the back? does it have a peaked yoke? or a triple peaked yoke? or is it cut straight across?

Nice shirt - love that label. I have this image in my head of big oven full of folded shirts, baking away :)

No help on the label, just to say that I agree with your '60s dating.

Here's the back. I'm not sure what you'd call this. Triple peaked yoke? I found a "Dee Cee" brand shirt that had the Permanent Press Never Needs Ironing tag on the collar just like this one. It wasn't the same label, but very close. Also, I'm in Oregon and a lot of Oregon and Washington clothes (like Pendleton) are floating around here. I'm pretty sure Dee Cee was based out of Washington state. AND you can see the outline of the missing patch and it is square just like a Dee Cee label. So now I'm scouring the web looking for labels on old Dee Cee shirts.

Attachments

• western3.JPG
    western3.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 263
This tag looks suspiciously like mine. The brand tag is different than on mine, but the brand tags for Dee Cee's western shirts are different. They're square just like the patch missing on mine.

Attachments

• 8454d.jpg
    8454d.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 286
yes, that would qualify as a triple peak....i thought it might be more pronounced, more deeply pointed, since the front yokes are, but still, the triple peak is better than a single! that's great.

love DeeCee shirts, too. classic, generally, and fully wearable.

I found a few ads that touted the oven-baked process on pants and shirts that were permanent press and never need ironing and all the ads were from 1965 or 1966.

The ads that featured shirts and pants that used the oven baked process usually did not have a brand, but one ad mentioned "Life Press" and one ad noted that the Dan River shirts they were selling were made with the oven baked process. I suspect the process was used by more than one company for their shirts and pants.

Back