Age of this Lilli Ann suit?

Joji Furukawa

Registered Guest
I just found my first Lilli Ann suit today at a flea market and I'm wondering what decade it's from. To me it looks like a 1950s suit however in the label database, this label is from an early 1960s coat. There is also a union label inside that was used from 1933-1964 so this doesn't really narrow it down. The skirt has a metal side zipper and the suit is asymmetrical with pleats and a long pointy piece of fabric that hangs under the buttons. Also, I believe the buttons originally were covered in tiny fake diamonds however most of them have fallen out. I also believe the buttons to be original as they are sewn under the lining. Any help with dating this suit would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 244
Well you certainly scored today! That is a beautiful suit. It looks mid 1950s, around 1955 to 1957. The skirt may have been shortened, can you tell if it was originally longer? I will wait to see what some others think. The buttons look more like a 1960s style of button, but the rest of the jacket looks 50's.

Lovely!

Thank you for the reply and your help! I think your right, the skirt hem looks a bit sketchy as the seams don't line up and the tape they used is pretty cheap.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 203
Hi, I have one very close to yours, but in different shades of brown. I found the original adevertising of 1956! So I think like Barbara for the age

I am wavering between late 1950s, to perhaps 1960-1961. A good clue for us might be to know the sleeve length, and also to see the jacket on a real person or dress form. Are the sleeves all the way to the wrist?

Lilli was fond of using horizontal and diagonal pleating as a design element and she returned to that over a span of years, so we need more clues.

The buttons and the collar, and skirt length are making me think more 1960 than 1957 (which was my first thought). If the sleeves are 3/4 length we are moving into the 1960s on this jacket.

I looked at many Lilli Ann adverts, and the closest I found with this type of pleating were from 1960 so I am also inclined to think it is early 60s. It may well be worth spending the time to find the original advert.

Barbara and Melanie I am also starting to second guess myself. I've attached images of a similar suit I found on eBay a while back, the sleeves are the same length as mine and I'm also assuming that the skirt length is also what mine originally was. Also, the only ad I could find with similar pleating and style is this one from 1961. I'd definitely love to find the original ad for my suit but I'm not sure where to look. Any suggestions? Also thank you for your help with dating it!

S5.jpg
thumbnail_image1.jpg

It will help us a great deal to see the jacket on a woman, or dress form. The image you show of the Ebay sold suit is similar, however the silhouette on that jacket is different than your jacket. From what I can tell, that jacket has a more 40s line to it (longer length and broader shoulders) while your jacket looks more late 50s to very early 60s with a shorter waist and softer shoulder line.

If you can get someone to model it, that will help.

I agree with Barbara - if we can see it on someone or on a dress form that would help a great deal in dating it. I think it's from the early 1960's.
Linn

I will definitely try to get someone to model it for you guys. Also, the suit from eBay has the same label as mine, not the earlier one so I'm pretty sure they were made around the same time. But I will get someone to model it.

Back