Alfred Shaheen dress?

Vicky`sVintage

Registered Guest
Hi everyone!
I purchased a dress on-line, which looks like a Shaheen dress to me, but it has an early Penthouse Gallery label in it. I know that Alfred Shaheen produced dresses for other brands too, and sometimes it is possible to find his dresses with two different labels. I wonder if any of you know if its possible that Shaheen made this dress for the Penthouse Gallery.
I am still waiting for my dress to arrive, but here is a photo about a dress I found in an article about a Shaheen exhibition. The one I bought looks exactly the same. Ill post more photos once I receive the dress.
Thank you all!

Vic

Attachments

• 屏幕快照 2016-07-25 16.05.23.png
    屏幕快照 2016-07-25 16.05.23.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 275
Alfred Shaheen fabrics are typically printed on the selvedges with the brand and design name so I think your best chance is to look for this when you have it in hand.
Can you show the Penthouse Gallery label the dress has in it?

Thank you for your fast reply! Ill send additional photos when the dress arrived.

Attachments

• 屏幕快照 2016-07-25 19.31.46.png
    屏幕快照 2016-07-25 19.31.46.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 287
As the label says 'made for' and not 'designed by' as I've seen on some other Penthouse Gallery labels I'd say it was made by another company. Who, though, can only be determined by the above suggestion, or finding the original advert (I did see a few original 1950s Penthouse Gallery adverts in my brief google foray, so worth a try I think).

I saw a huge exhibit of Alfred Shaheen clothing at the Bishop Museum in Honolulu in 2012 and 2013. I remember that dress. I think that it is very possible that the dress is a Shaheen and that it was made for the Penthouse Shop - and it may have had another label. Please post photos of your dress when it arrives.

Here's an article about the exhibit and another photo of the dress:

http://www.sfgate.com/style/article/Museum-celebrates-Hawaii-fashion-master-3923229.php

I only own one Shaheen, a 1950's sarong style dress with a matching bolero. The fabric name is not on the selvage of the dress.

Last edited:
Hi Linn, thanks for the article! :)
I also have a 1950's Shaheen sarong dress, and it also doesnt have the fabric or designer name in the selvage.
I cant wait to recieve the dress and post photos of it. But it might take a few weeks... :(

After a long waiting period I finally got the dress and can share some photos with you. :)
I think it is a Shaheen dress. Under the penthouse gallery label I found a little piece of another label, which might have been the Shaheen one. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_4999.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_5001.JPG
    IMG_5001.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_5002.JPG
    IMG_5002.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_5003.JPG
    IMG_5003.JPG