Chanel Fake ? or Good?

steve w

Registered Guest
Is this perhaps a fake? The dress is very well made - metal buttons - satin silk lining etc.. but the label looks odd and there are no other Chanel markings or labels on the dress.

Attachments

• IMG_5330.jpeg
    IMG_5330.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_5316.jpeg
    IMG_5316.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_5317.jpeg
    IMG_5317.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_5319.jpeg
    IMG_5319.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 313
The VFG doesn't authenticate items... however, there are a lot of danger signals on this one - the biggest being the two size fonts on the label.

Before fashion industry globalized, it was not unusual for a small boutique or a seamstress to be named after a French couturier, in countries where French designers were not available. I have seen similar labels from Middle East, South America and Asia. Usually, intension was not fool people or fake the couture house, but to use a "posh" name. Whether calling it "authentic" or "not authentic" is a bigger discussion. Also, as the VFG doesn't authenticate items, I think it's safe to say it's NOT related to the House of Chanel founded by Coco Chanel.

I think it's an interesting piece.

Before fashion industry globalized, it was not unusual for a small boutique or a seamstress to be named after a French couturier, in countries where French designers were not available. I have seen similar labels from Middle East, South America and Asia. Usually, intension was not fool people or fake the couture house, but to use a "posh" name. Whether calling it "authentic" or "not authentic" is a bigger discussion. Also, as the VFG doesn't authenticate items, I think it's safe to say it's NOT related to the House of Chanel founded by Coco Chanel.

I think it's an interesting piece.

Thank you I appreciate the insight - I am in two minds what to do with it in terms of reselling - my first instinct was to throw it away but it is an interesting dress and very well made ...

Back