Dating Assistance.

StitchesandSnags

Registered Guest
Greetings everyone. I found a couple of ifems at my local thrift/antique shops in the past couple of days.

I was told by the seller that this brooch was worn by Chanel employees at Holt Renfrew in the 1980s. If anyone has further information on this I would be thankful.

I appreciate any assistance. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_4265.JPG
    IMG_4265.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_4266.JPG
    IMG_4266.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_4267.JPG
    IMG_4267.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 345
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 306
The polaroid sunglasses remind me of 1980s, but those enormous lenses have come and gone over time.

by googling Surf King Majestic, this came up from Tradmarkia: http://www.trademarkia.com/surf-king-72387050.html

so, you'll know your shorts are from sometime after 1971, since within it, they say:

On Monday, March 22, 1971, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for SURF KING by Majestic Industries (Canada) Limited, Saint-Laurant, Quebec H4S-0A3. The USPTO has given the SURF KING trademark serial number of 72387050. The current federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED AND RENEWED. The correspondent listed for SURF KING is KEVIN G. SMITH of Sughrue Mion, PLLC, 2100 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20037-3213 . The SURF KING trademark is filed in the category of Transportation & Storage Services . The description provided to the USPTO for SURF KING is SWIMMING TRUNKS, BATHING SUITS AND MATCHING OR CONTRASTING BEACH JACKETS OF COTTON AND/OR TERRY CLOTH.

For your pin, if you have no paperwork to back it up, the "story" of it belonging to a Chanel employee is just that: a story. If you're thinking it's a real Chanel piece, you may want to take it to a Chanel boutique to ask if they could verify it for you, and possibly date it for you as well. We sold similar pins in a consignment shop in the 80s...some were real, but many (many) came through that were not authentic (so we had to turn them away).

Have fun with your new treasures!

Most of the Cool Ray Polaroid Sunglasses I've seen have been 1960s. Like Mary, these initially gave me an 80's vibe - but I don't know if they were still making sunglasses in the 80s. If someone told me these were 1960s, I'd believe that, too -- so I'd say go with 1960s when listing.

If I had those shorts in my shop, I'd probably say they were 1960-70s, because the person looking for these is probably looking for 60s style... in much the same way as I'd show someone some early 60s dresses, even if they were looking for 50s - because styles didn't change overnight.
With that said, listing online is a bit different than in a brick & mortar shop, so take my advice with a grain of salt :)
k

Thank you everyobe for your helpful advice and tips! I strongly believe that the sunglasses are from the 1960s due to the print and how it "looks." I saw a toy from 1966 and the print had a similar coloring/text style.

As for the Chanel brooch I will habe to dig deeper and see if I can find further information on it.

Another piece from my travels:

I found an old stamp from 1954 in it but I think this purse is older than that. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 301
The snap says " pull proof rau f co."

I'm not one hundred percent certain of the material so I've been ambivalent about cleaning it. It reminds me of a 1970s wool skirt I own.

Attachments

• IMG_4344.JPG
    IMG_4344.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Everyone has been super helpful. Thank you.

I found this beaded cat coin purse. I've seen identical ones from the 1990s but the one I found seems to be better crafted. The beads are aligned and the colors are unlike the others. Is it a possibility this could be made by someone more skilled? It seems as if this design was ripped off many times too so it's a possibility this is some kind of original. Many thanks! Without this forum I would be lost.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4356.PNG
    IMG_4356.PNG
    270.4 KB · Views: 288
The snap says " pull proof rau f co."

I'm not one hundred percent certain of the material so I've been ambivalent about cleaning it. It reminds me of a 1970s wool skirt I own.
The zipper and that plaid look 50s to me. However, it could be 40s. Not sure! It looks like wool or a blend. Are there any spots or is it just dusty? Might just need a little vacuuming or sticky roller.

The zipper and that plaid look 50s to me. However, it could be 40s. Not sure! It looks like wool or a blend. Are there any spots or is it just dusty? Might just need a little vacuuming or sticky roller.

I definitely need to take after it with a sticky roller. Wool is terrible when it comes to picking up stray hairs. I decided to put it in my freezer for thirty minutes just in case another devilish surprise came with it.

At first I thought the clutch was more recent but there's this strange back strap that's reminiscent of one of my other purses from the 50s. I'll take more pictures once I return home.

Thank you once again!

Back