Dating Davidow Suits

Michelle Schneiter

Registered Guest
I recently was fortunate enough to find a couple of gorgeous Davidow suits at an estate sale in southern California. I'm having difficulty dating them. One looks like the stitching may be earlier than the other. One has 3/4 sleeves, the other is full length. The skirts are about the same length. One has a belted waist on the jacket. The other doesn't. Any chance someone out there knows Davidow or suits well enough to date these vintage goodies?

Thanks so much.

Michelle

Attachments

• Plaid Davidow suit back.png
    Plaid Davidow suit back.png
    301.2 KB · Views: 295
  • Plaid Davidow suit front.jpg
    Plaid Davidow suit front.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 198
  • Plaid Davidow suit jacket top.jpg
    Plaid Davidow suit jacket top.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 194
  • Plaid Davidow suit pocket.jpg
    Plaid Davidow suit pocket.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 225
  • Plaid Davidow suit sleeve.jpg
    Plaid Davidow suit sleeve.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Red Davidow suit back.jpg
    Red Davidow suit back.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Red Davidow suit button hole.jpg
    Red Davidow suit button hole.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Red Davidow suit jacket.jpg
    Red Davidow suit jacket.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Red Davidow suit front.jpg
    Red Davidow suit front.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Red Davidow suit label.jpg
    Red Davidow suit label.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Red Davidow suit pocket.jpg
    Red Davidow suit pocket.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Red Davidow suit stitching detail.jpg
    Red Davidow suit stitching detail.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 178
The suits are fabulous. I think they are both 1950s suits. I was curious about the patent number so I Googled it and discovered that it's a patent for suit construction from the 1940s:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2318295A/en

My dating is based on the style, the collars,; the 3/4 sleeves and the detailing. I hope they fit you and that you can and will wear them!

The suits are fabulous. I think they are both 1950s suits. I was curious about the patent number so I Googled it and discovered that it's a patent for suit construction from the 1940s:

My dating is based on the style, the collars,; the 3/4 sleeves and the detailing. I hope they fit you and that you can and will wear them!

Thanks Linn! What I wouldn't GIVE to fit into these suits! I'm just in love with them. Their pockets are to die for. Sadly, the women of the 50s were wafer thin and women of our generation are a bit more super-sized. :) I'm most likely going to sell them, unless I can convince my aspiring production designer daughter to wear them.

I'm also curious if anyone out there has a catalog of the Davidow suits that were licensed Chanel designs. I know they weren't all Chanel patterns, but some were.

Back