Dating this caplet

Nichole

Registered Guest
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
hi,
I purchased this caplet and I don't know the date of it. There are no tags. Can anyone be of help?
Thank you,
Nichole

With the buttons up the back, it looks to me like it might be the top of a dress, rather than it was originally a capelet. Does it open fully, or do you put it over your head?
Hello,
No, it doesn't open fully. It buttons down so far and then place it over your head. If it's not a caplet what would it be? It would have been part of a dress?
Thank you,
Nichole

I think it was a dress that someone has cut down into a kind of capelet, for some reason. I'm not sure though. Perhaps the rest of the dress was damaged and they wanted to save that lovely neckline. How is the hem sewn, does it look different from the how the rest is sewn?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think it was a dress that someone has cut down into a kind of capelet, for some reason. I'm not sure though. Perhaps the rest of the dress was damaged and they wanted to save that lovely neckline. How is the hem sewn, does it look different from the how the rest is sewn?
Hi,
Here is some photos of the back.
Thank you,
Nichole

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 244
I can't really see enough detail. Perhaps you can tell if you examine the hem closely, whether it looks original or like an alteration. Sometimes it's obvious if you look closely. But sometimes not, if whoever changed it was a good sewer.

And maybe someone else will chime in.

Hi,
You are right, it is very difficult to tell. If it was part of a dress and made by someone they did an awesome job. It's very detailed with the netting and the silver studs in the velvet. Also the way the points were sewn on to the netting. I could never do anything like that. I appreciate your feedback!
Sincerely,
Nichole

Hi,
It's very detailed with the netting and the silver studs in the velvet. Also the way the points were sewn on to the netting.
Nichole

All of that I would have thought was original to the dress, and that someone cut it down, just above where the sleeves would start.

t something about the centre back opening makes this look like an altered piece, not fully original.

Yes, I thought that too.

Back