dating this Schiaparelli (?) rabbit/beaver (?) jacket....1950s?

laurenm

Registered Guest
hi Everyone,
The lining has "Paris" and "Schiaparelli" insignia on it but no other label other than the store one....wondering if this is rabbit or dyed beaver? thinking 1960s....it's the closest match in the label resource?
Thanks for any input.
Lauren

Attachments

• schiapful.JPG
    schiapful.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 235
  • schiapback.JPG
    schiapback.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 191
  • schiapside.JPG
    schiapside.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 233
  • schiapcollar.JPG
    schiapcollar.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 225
  • schiapopen.JPG
    schiapopen.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 222
  • schiaplab.JPG
    schiaplab.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 210
  • schiaplining1.JPG
    schiaplining1.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 228
  • schiaplining2.JPG
    schiaplining2.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 240
Looks deliciously soft. I think it is sheared beaver. Hopefully, our fur expert will be along to confirm. I also think with that collar it may be 50s rather than 60s.

I think too that the Schiaparelli lining is not necessarily indicative of the house having anything to do with the coat.

Hi Everyone, just giving this thread a last shot, mostly wondering about whether to list this as "Schiaparelli" ?
Lauren

I am so sorry for not replying sooner. I didn't see this until now. It is indeed sheared beaver and I would date it to the 60s.
I would recommend adhering to Mary Jane's suggestion regarding not using Schiaparelli in the title as the furrier could have just chosen this lining to compliment the fur without permission to label the garment as a Schiaparelli. You could absolutely describe the lining though in your description and show it in a photo.
I generally show a photo of the lining in jackets and coats anyway so the condition can be seen.

*Editing to add what led me to 60s dating. Collar does look like a collar style that would have been seen in the 50s. The larger decorative button style, the length of the jacket, the length and more narrow shape of the sleeves were more popular in the early to mid 60s. The squared patch pockets on furs were more popular later into the 60s and even beyond that so all combined led me to 60s dating. :)

Last edited:
Back