extra long zippers

Pocahauntis

Registered Guest
I just acquired a '50s Dior and the zipper in it was super long--just sort of hung loose past the hip area. I was at first mortified by this but then I am seeing other high end dresses of the era with the same thing. Why did they do that?

I've had a relatively modern high-end dress this this same extended zip feature, and had the same reaction as you. I was told it's to allow the wearer to step into into it, and is an alternative to having an open ended zip.

OK, that makes sense, I guess, although they'd still have to step into it whether the fabric was attached to the zipper or not..but I can see why some of the designers might think that's a plus. Thanks for your reply.

Traditionally a dress is put on over the head. This design allows you to have your hair coiffured first (as some of these designer-wearing ladies may well have done) and then dress without ruining your hairdo by stepping into the dress comfortably :)

I was mortified because I thought someone had put an ill-fitting aftermarket zipper in my Dior. When you are lucky enough to own a Dior, you don't want anything about it to be unauthentic. It would be like a painting that has been altered. I didn't think Dior would leave something unfinished like that, which it appeared to be. But I am being educated now.

Back