For Kentucky Derby Day

lkranieri

VFG Member
I just posted this on my FB page...

"For a little fun on Kentucky Derby Day, the residents in our continuing care community are celebrating with gatherings to which guests are encouraged to wear attention-getting hats. This is our daughter modeling one hat from my collection, in order to show it to a neighbor who might want to borrow it for the event. The (original) hat box in which it is kept is made of wood and is huge."

PlatterHatOnTaryn2024.jpg

How lovely! Your daughter is a great hat model!
I love to see Christine A. Moore's Derby hat creations! Some are simply fabulous! I would love to have a Derby party sometime and have everyone wear gorgeous hats and Mint Juleps, too. I love to watch the Derby. It was a tradition that my Father and I started when I was very small. We always looked forward to it.

I just posted this on my FB page...

"For a little fun on Kentucky Derby Day, the residents in our continuing care community are celebrating with gatherings to which guests are encouraged to wear attention-getting hats. This is our daughter modeling one hat from my collection, in order to show it to a neighbor who might want to borrow it for the event. The (original) hat box in which it is kept is made of wood and is huge."

View attachment 184881
lovecriptthis spectacular hat. Does it have a maker's name? Just wondering.....

lovecriptthis spectacular hat. Does it have a maker's name? Just wondering.....

Bonnie, I am so glad you asked about the maker, as I either never saw the small Saint Laurent label under the bigger white label, or I forgot what I had (I have had it for many years). Here is what I found when I pulled it out to look for the maker...

SaintLaurentPlatterHatLgWhiteLabel.jpg

SaintLaurentPlatterHatLaurentRiveGaucheLabel.jpg

So, do you agree that it is likely from the late 1960's? Oh, and note that while I am not sure from where I bought it, I am quite sure I didn't pay $430 for it!

Last edited:
How lovely! Your daughter is a great hat model!

Thank you for the kind words about my daughter; I will pass your comment along to her, as she was reluctant to put on the hat because she just came back from a run and was concerned about her being "too sweaty." She is, however, a great model for just about anything.

Re the Derby, I am sure I will cause everyone to roll eyes over this, but I can't watch horse races as I always wind up worrying about the horses getting hurt or suffering in the heat. I know everyone says the horses love to race, but until they learn to talk and tell me they enjoy it, I prefer to just not watch. :)

Bonnie, I am so glad you asked about the maker, as I either never saw the small Saint Laurent label under the bigger white label, or I forgot what I had (I have had it for many years). Here is what I found when I pulled it out to look for the maker...

View attachment 184886

View attachment 184887

So, do you agree that it is likely from the late 1960's? Oh, and note that while I am not sure from where I bought it, I am quite sure I didn't pay $430 for it!
Wow!!! What a plus that label is to an already wonderful hat!

i saw your post on fb, it is SO amazing!! and to find out it's YSL, wow!! that may explain the wood box for storage...i wondered about that!

thanks for sharing!

Back