Get the Look: Elsa Schiaparelli -The VFG Fashion Parade for the week of September 5th

carla rey

VFG Member
Get the Look: Elsa Schiaparelli
Wit, innovation, transformation, freedom, defiance, chic—and shock. How many of us would dare to take fashion inspiration from the most iconoclastic of designers?

Elsa Schiaparelli was born in Rome in 1890. A defiant girl from the start, she ran away from home at the age of six only to be found several days later, at the head of a parade. When she was 21, Schiaparelli wrote a book of erotic poetry, shocking her aristocratic parents who promptly sent her to a convent. When she waged a hunger strike they were forced to bring her back home.

Repeatedly told by her mother that her older sister was a beauty and that she was homely, as a girl Schiaparelli once tried to plant flower seeds in her nose, mouth and ears, presciently imagining she could make herself blossom into a beauty. She gradually found love and admiration through the creation of beauty.

After a hasty, early marriage fell apart in 1914, Schiaparelli began to discover her life’s work. Her marriage had taken her to New York, and with the help of connected friends, she relocated to Paris where she became associated with artists and made her way into the domain of fashion.
Schiaparelli was at her height in the inter-war years, an equal to her rival Coco Chanel, and most of these style elements for which she is known are tied to that time.

Collaborations with artists
Schiaparelli was greatly influenced by the artists whom she considered her soulmates. First by the Dadaists, then even more profoundly by the Surrealists, her friends and collaborators included Jean Cocteau, Christian Bérard, René Magritte, Alberto Giacometti and most especially Salvador Dalí.

Surrealism
The dream worlds of the Surrealists particularly appealed to Elsa Schiaparelli, and her creations reflected those dreams tinged with her own iconic wit.

Trompe l’oeil
Elsa Schiaparelli first made her mark on the fashion world in 1927 with boxy sweaters knit in a special double layered stitch to keep them from losing their shape—and most importantly featuring trompe l’oeil in their designs. These caused an immediate sensation and were the basis for her opening her atelier, even if just in a garret to start. By 1935, her atelier was the 98-room salon and work studios at 21 Place Vendôme, which was christened the Schiap Shop. She had had no formal training.

Wit
Surrealism, trompe l’oeil—the humor in Schiaparelli’s work is undeniable. That lobster dress? There are parsley sprigs scattered near the hem. Gloves have manicures, pockets have lips.

Freedom
Before evening wear, Schiaparelli made her name in sportswear and she never lost sight of practicality in her design. She created a wardrobe of mix-and-match, easy-care separates for her own travel. She dressed the English pilot Amy Johnson in a handsome, work-worthy outfit. In 1931, she put the tennis star Lilí Álvarez in a split skirt, shocking the staid Wimbledon crowd.

Transformation
Struggling with the curse of being told she was unattractive from early on, Schiaparelli seemed to seek redemption through fashion, both in beautifying herself and through the glorification of the ordinary in her design.

Butterflies
Not just a favorite symbol of the Surrealists, but surely of personal significance to a woman who wanted to transform her appearance, butterflies are a recurrent theme in Schiaparelli’s work. Sometimes they are unfettered, as butterfly button-like decorations seem to take flight off a jacket, other times caught, as a black netting over-dress envelopes a butterfly-printed dress beneath.

Embellishment
Playing a very important role in many of Schiaparelli’s 1930s creations was the embroidery realized by the House of Lesage. In some cases it nearly covered the fabric on which it was stitched, yet always heightened the design of the garment without overwhelming it. With Schiaparelli and Lesage one feels the sense of great dancers in a pas de deux, their arts completely intertwined.

Novelty buttons
Somewhere between fastener and jewelry, Schiaparelli’s buttons very often were set free from their usual roles and wended their way diagonally down the front of a jacket or floated onto a hat. The placement, the size and most of all the themes (everything from snails to shell casings) were deviantly inventive.

The ‘Lightning Fastener’
In another technically inventive inspiration, Schiaparelli took to the zipper (the Lightning Fastener) at the vanguard of its popular use. Instead of keeping its practicality hidden, she glorified it in her designs, using it as a jolting focal point.

Unusual materials
Schiaparelli upended the expected in fabrics, using day fabrics for evening and evening fabrics for daywear. Her couture garments combined even suede with lace. She experimented with new man-made fabrics, including a glass-like Rhodophane (which proved impractically fragile). Her wit extended to prints featuring seed packets, carousel animals and her own press clippings.

The evening suit
So many of Schiaparelli’s 1930s creations were in the form of suits, most notably and inventively her evening suits. The dresses, sleek and baring gowns, were relatively unadorned, while their jacket mates could be ornately embellished.

Her other advancements include a wrap dress, a backless swimsuit, a built-in bra, culottes/trousers and folding glasses.

Design themes
Themes often ran through seasonal collections, giving direction not only to the designs and embellishments, but to the performance art theatrics of Schiaparelli’s fashion shows. The Music collection of fall 1939 included music boxes in belt buckles and on hats, colorfully sparkling embroidered musical notation, and buttons shaped like instruments. The Zodiac collection of winter 1938-39 was an homage not only to astronomy, but to the Sun King Louis XIV, and to Apollo. In her extraordinarily prolific 1938, Schiaparelli produced not only the Zodiac collection but the Circus and Pagan collections. The Commedia del’Arte came in 1939.

Chic noir
Edgy black was a Schiaparelli speciality, as brazenly exemplified by the Skeleton Dress from 1938. Made of fine, matte silk in a clingy cut, the ‘bones’ of the dress are formed by normally delicate trapunto quilting thickly stuffed with cotton wadding.

Her edginess carried into a sort of eek chic, with a brilliant array of realistic bugs crawling around an innovative clear plastic collar (as if directly on the wearer’s skin), and fine silk printed with what look like gaping wounds used for the Tear Dress.

Shocking pink
Famously described as “...an aggressive, brawling, warrior pink” by Yves Saint Laurent, this vibrant color was the non-sweet signature of the designer, giving name to her most famous perfume, color to her packaging, and finding its way into her fashions from head to toe throughout her career. Her autobiography Shocking Life sealed her own sense of connection to the color, the connotation of the hue expressing her provocative, enthralling work.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite designer.
From my sold archives, all licensed.
Two 1960s necklaces
schiapnecklace2.jpg

SCHIAPNECKLACE.jpg

1960s peignoir set
SCHIAPARELLISET.jpg

And from my personal collection, a 1950s Succès Fou perfume bottle in the original box
SUCCESFOU.jpg

schiaphat.png

schiaplabel.jpg

Vintage 1960s Schiaparelli Wool Fur Felt Cloche Style Hat Brown and Pumpkin

schiaptie.png

schiaptielabel.jpg

Vintage 1970s Shevel's by Schiaparelli Burgundy Polyester Necktie

And, two silk Schiaparelli scarves from my Sold Archives......
schiapmagentascarf02.jpg

Vintage 1970s Schiaparelli Print Silk Scarf Magenta/Green

schiapstripescarf01.jpg

Vintage 1970s Striped Print Silk Scarf

My Vintage Clothes Line on Ruby Lane
myvintageclothesline

Last edited:
I have had only one Schiaparelli pass through my hands - a 60s necktie, but it sold 5 years ago and I don't seem to have an archive photo.

But I do have a few (not Schiaparelli) trompe l'oeil pieces.

At MagsRags.net, a Tori Richards maxidress with a deep border tromp l'oeil print of scarves draped on a clothesline

Also trompe l'oiel, t his Jantzen pullover sweater is not listed yet - I have some minor repair work to do on a sleeve.
jantzensuspender2.jpg
jantzensuspenderback.jpg

I have not yet had any Schiaparelli in my shop or my collection, but I have sold a very "shocking pink" dress - and the funny thing is, I did grow up with the term "shocking pink" being used in German - without knowing where it came from...!

allard5.jpg

1980s cocktail dress by Isabelle Allard

I've never been so fortunate to find any Schiaparelli items for my vintage shop, but I do currently have two shocking pink items listed.

First is a 1980s silk dress with trumpet skirt by LIZ CLAIBORNE which has a retro 30s vibe that's a bit of a nod to the designer. Size 8.
PhotoRoom-20220903_092358.png

Second is a fuzzy mohair sweater, also from the 1980s, by STUDIO MICHELLE STUART. Size XL.
PhotoRoom-20220120_141302.png

And later this week I'll be listing this wearable art jacket by DANIEL K/DK. It ticks several of the Schiaparelli inspirations: a bit of shocking pink on the trim, whimsical design (cats carrying candles!), lots of applied embellishment and fancy "wedding cake" style Indian bead buttons. A roomy size 1X.
fotor_1662059074947.jpg

PhotoRoom-20220901_080839_1.png

Karen's Fashion Backward Shop on Thrilling
Fashion Backward Shop on Etsy
Vintage clothing on Poshmark

This Schiaparelli hat from Morning Glorious has SOLD:
Hat_Schiaparelli_Champagne-Satin-Toque_Exp111419-10_01.JPG

Hat_Schiaparelli_Champagne-Satin-Toque_Exp111419-10_09.JPG

I have other sold Schiaparelli items including hats, a lingerie storage bag and a wonderful men's velvet shirt but I can not locate the photos, and I can not download them from the sold listing page (one of the reasons I rarely participate anymore in fresh vintage etc, is it became so much harder when my computer stopped downloading web photos from Etsy?!)

In the spirit of Schiaparelli, I have this 80s pink bubble dress by Susan Roselli currently available
Dress_Susan-Roselli_Vijack_Flower-Detail_Pink_Party_NEYT-C_001.JPG

Jen

Love that Tori Richards!

I have had only one Schiaparelli pass through my hands - a 60s necktie, but it sold 5 years ago and I don't seem to have an archive photo.

But I do have a few (not Schiaparelli) trompe l'oeil pieces.

At MagsRags.net, a Tori Richards maxidress with a deep border tromp l'oeil print of scarves draped on a clothesline

Also trompe l'oiel, t his Jantzen pullover sweater is not listed yet - I have some minor repair work to do on a sleeve.
View attachment 159168 View attachment 159169

Back