Help Dating Vintage Webster Hat

craftycat

Registered Guest
Hello! I'm new to the forum, but in reality I've been stalking it for awhile now without an account.

So, I know enough about dating vintage clothing to be dangerous, but I know little to nothing about dating accessories. I just picked up this hat at a consignment antique store and am unsure where to begin trying to date it. I understand hats can be difficult in general to narrow down.

Deets: It's a Webster hat, which does not yield many search results. It came in a Champ hat box, which is fun since it is not a Champ hat. I've taken various photos of the inside label and lining. It's definitely machine sewn in places. My general guess would be 70s, but again, I know nothing about accessories.

Thank you, lovely people!

IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5063.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Welcome!

According to a 1956 article in the Indianapolis Star, "Syl-Mer"--a silicone water- and stain-repellent finish used up till then on home furnishing fabrics--was appearing in fashions, including raincoats and suits.

Within a couple of years, it shows up on men's sportswear and coats, so my guesstimate would be later 50s.

That's really helpful! Thank you!

Back