info needed about these hats please

jdschusz

Registered Guest
I am interesting in learning about these three hats - anything about the label, and
dating them. thank you for help!

2013-10-27 15.13.09.jpgfur hat.jpgfur hat label.jpgfur hat inside.jpghat 1.jpghat 1 label.jpg

The 1st one looks like late 60s or early 1970s to me How great that you have the Mr. John Jr tag and original hat box with it.

The 2nd one looks 1960s

and the third has an 80s look but then again it might be older, might be 60s as well.

I really like the styling of that 3rd hat!

I am sure some of our hat experts will be along as well to help you out some more.

I agree with Mary Jane on the dates of all three hats. Hats by Sylvia are often very interesting styles....I have had a few of them and they are always really sweet hats! I had one very large hat with that label that I called my Pinwheel hat....it was a very unique hat. Mr. John hats are usually quite desirable....yours is Mr. John Jr. These hats were designed with more of the younger market in mind. During the 1960's, several designers came out with lines were geared to young ladies....trying to keep the interest in hats alive among the teens, as it was beginning to dwindle!

I agree with Mary Jane on the dates of all three hats. Hats by Sylvia are often very interesting styles....I have had a few of them and they are always really sweet hats! I had one very large hat with that label that I called my Pinwheel hat....it was a very unique hat. Mr. John hats are usually quite desirable....yours is Mr. John Jr. These hats were designed with more of the younger market in mind. During the 1960's, several designers came out with lines were geared to young ladies....trying to keep the interest in hats alive among the teens, as it was beginning to dwindle!

Thank you!!

Hi,

Just wanted to agree that the Mr. John is 1960s and having the hang tag and the box is a great plus. The "Jr" Johns don't seem to be too popular with collectors right now, so the box greatly ups the value and interest and makes a great set. The Valerie label goes back to the 1950s and is seen on into the early 1960s, and your hat is could be late 1950s, or early 1960s. That bubble style crosses over both decades. I think the last hat, the Sylvia, is 1990s. That style was just beginning to be sold in hat shops on the East Coast around the very early 1990s and I do not recall seeing it earlier.

Back