Query dating fancy Mr John hat label in resource

Pinkcoke

Alumni
I'm looking at a deep cloche hat in pale pink straw with the most extravagant lining and label I've ever seen, it matches the one in the resource with pink ribbon loops either side with diamantes on, currently dated as 70's, but this one also has a minature red chiffon bow sewn on at the bottom of the label, which the other probably had originally as well. The lining is a silky pale pink fabric with the same Mr John logo repeated as a pattern in gold, swirling to the sewn centre. A bonwit Teller label in similar colours is sewn on next to it, and the hat has two tortoishell effect? long tooth combs attached either side.
I'm querying that existing label dating for a couple of reasons, the hat I'm looking at seems quite obviously 60's to me, the label style all pretty and girly in pink doesn't match my expectations of 70's design and if the other hat were from the 60's also it fit much more reasonably in the transition of font style and label design in Mr John labels over the decades. Does anyone know if that hat was posted and saw it?

Hi,

It would be very helpful if you could post a photo of your pink hat. I have seen about 14 or more different labels that Mr. John or his company used in their hats. I have seen that one your refer to before, but off the top of my head I cannot recall the year of the hat I had seen it in. But I will say that from my old memories, the label you refer to in the VFG resource looks right for circa early 1970's, as well as perhaps the late 1960s. Hat styles, particularly those for older women, in general did not change or vary all that much from the mid 1960s to the mid 1970s. It was mostly older women who were buying Mr John's hats, and while he did do youthful styles to lure young women to wearing hats, it was not a very successful line for him or any hat maker for that matter.

Even if I were to see the hat that the VFG label came from, it still might be hard to pinpoint its exact date of origin, for the reasons stated above. It is probably correct for an early 1970s hat.

I would love to see your hat, and especially that lining which is quite hard to find. It might be helpful for us to see it so we can all become a bit more more familiar with Mr. J's labels and work.

B

Back