Schiaparelli Label

crushvintage

Registered Guest
Hi!
Was wondering if you could help out with dating a lovely Schiaparelli knit beaded dress and coat?
Many Thanks!
Tina
IMG_7182_zps04c6cac5.jpg
IMG_7171_zps24a0d462.jpg
IMG_7162_zps61522fb0.jpg

Oh! I am not sure. It is sewn into the coat only, there is no label on the matching dress.
It is sewn on with the same thread used in the beading next to it.
This came from an estate of a wealthy women who shopped at high end stores with designer labels.
Is there a way to determine whether the label is original?

I agree with Barbara - I have only seen that label on lingerie. I also agree that the set is '60s. I would be looking very carefully at the stitching and thread to see if it was original - and to see if there was any evidence of a missing label on the dress. These beaded items were generally made in Hong Kong.

Claire, the dress is beaded directly, while the coat is appliqued. Both are super heavy...at least 3 lbs. each!
Nicole, the thread on the label is the same as the thread used on the appliqued beadwork on the coat. Don't see any evidence of a label on the dress.
And we researched the sheer label, and couldn't find any pictures of it either!

I just looked at all the schiaparelli listings I could find on ebay UK & US (current & completed) and agree with Barbara & Nicole that the sheer label only appears on lingerie, which is usually made of a similar sheer fabric.

Thanks to everyone for their input and knowledge!
It is so great to have such a resource at my fingertips!
Tina/Crush Vintage

Tina, sorry to be so slow getting back to this. Generally, the beading would have been done directly on the coat also.

That said when I visited the workrooms at Lesage in the early 80s, they were making small motifs--lipstick, logos, etc.--for Chanel. Lagerfeld had asked for these saying he didn't know how they would be used. Later, I saw the motifs on a houndstooth rtw jacket. My guess is that Schiaparelli would not have used appliques. This is a good research question for me when I visit a museum next time.

Thank you for presenting the outfit. C

Back