shaheen dress, 60's or 70s?

sMarie

Registered Guest
Hi,

I'm wondering if you can help me date this shaheen dress. I know the label resource says 70's, but a few things are making me think late 60's.

The length is mid calf. In the pics it looks white, but it's actually a very light gray.

Also, whats the best term for these sleeves? Trumpet sleeves? They're huge!

Attachments

• FotoFlexer_Photo4354rrt3543.jpg
    FotoFlexer_Photo4354rrt3543.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 264
  • FotoFlexer_Photo32432432.jpg
    FotoFlexer_Photo32432432.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 222
I would call the sleeves bell sleeves. I can see why you think your dress might be late 1960's. I think it could be from the late 1960's or very early 1970's. Does it have a care label? What are the measurments? A vintage 10 would probably be about the same as a size 2-4 today.

I was very fortunate to get to see a really huge Shaheen exhibit at the Bishop Museum in Honolulu in late 2012 and early 2013. (I went twice.) I learned that Alfred Shaheen opened a distribution center in Los Angeles in 1965. In the years that followed, Shaheen was represented by showrooms in most major U.S. citites. It's probable that California was added to the label in 1965 or shortly thereafter - after the distribution center opened.

Great dress!

Linn

Thank you for your response, Linn. I would have killed to go to shaheen exhibit in Honolulu, lucky you.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner about the measurements, I couldn't find my tape measure...I hate when that happens! In the past, I've "lost" it while wearing it around my neck.

The measurements are 42" bust, 32" waist, 44" hip, 43" long. The other side of the size label is care instructions. The fold over collar really reminds me of the 60s, but perhaps this is 70's. I don't know, I guess I could always list it as late 60's early 70's but the more I get into selling vintage the more precise I like to be. It will be 4 years soon, and I fall in love with this stuff more everyday. In another thread someone mentioned that in 69' and 70' purple was very popular. Maybe that's a clue.

Back