Shaheen hat

I don't know if there was a milliner in the family but they did do hats. There is an ad that features a bathing suit with a cover-up that includes a hat ("handmade by Shaheen's from imported Phillipine abaca fibre...scattered with vivid tropical shells") in the booklet that accompanied The Legacy of Alfred Shaheen exhibit at the Bishop Museum in 2012-2103, and "hats" are mentioned as part of the family legcy by his daughter, Camille Shaheen in the introduction.

Linn

Linn,

Thank you for that info, that is great to know that hats are considered part of the family legacy. I have actually come across a number of hats with Shaheen labels, and even have 2 sun hats with Shaheen labels in my collection that look to be from the 1960s or 1970s (not sure). What I am wondering is if there was a Shaheen who was an actual milliner working in the mid century or earlier eras, in the USA but definitely not located in Hawaii. I actually have a friend (a Shaheen) who I have not seen in a while, who is his granddaughter or niece (?) and I gave her 1 of the hats and she was thrilled. She unfortunately has little family history and she is trying to learn more too. Now I am on a search to find if there was a close relative who made hats with their own label.

If you come across anything, please let me know, and thank you!

Alfred Shaheen was one of the firms my husband Charles Rose represented, beginning in the 70's in his Los Angeles showroom in the Mart. Alfred had a large warehouse nearby where the garments, made in Hawaii and shipped to L.A. for distribution were kept. At that time 'hats' were not a part of any of Shaheen's collections that we sold stateside. I suspect they may have been made earlier when Shaheen was only being sold in Hawaii. Alfred came from a very large family and it is quite possible that either he or one of his sisters may have designed the hats. I do recall that Shaheen had been in business for some years before relocating to Los Angeles.

Back