the seventies...

TresChic

Registered Guest
Hi guys..

got a new project in college dealing with fashion during the 20th century...I am dealing with the 1900s and 1970s... an interesting combination!

so far in my research I love the seventies and have been trying to research halston....with little luck in getting images...

would any of you have a good resource for researching seventies clothing and designers...

also i am interested in which designer you think best captured the seventies????

thanks a lot as I mostly know about 1910- 1960 and the eighties so I have a lot to learn... :embaressed:

fave designer: Mary Quant (late 60's - early 70's).
Because I truly lusted for her designs in those years.

You might try the vintage dress site, or plain ol google. I love google.

Thanks leisa!
been trying google but there is a lot of irrevelant links- as per usual!

I had always thought of Mary Quant as a sixties designer but I just looked her up to find she was relevant in the seventies...thanks again!

and keep the info and opinions coming everyone!

I was born in 1975 and remember wearing plaid bell bottoms when I was about 3!! My mum had this thing about dressing me in plaid in the 70's!!!

also i am interested in which designer you think best captured the seventies????

Arghhhhh......that's like asking me to choose a favourite dress in the whole wide world......

For very different reasons, the people who most capture the era for me are

Ossie Clark or Biba (for the early 70s)

John Bates or Bill Gibb (for the mid-late 70s)

Just to stop my head exploding, I would shove Vivienne Westwood into the 80s classification - because she influenced that era more.

Personally, I think the only French designer of any importance in the 70s was YSL, every one else was tanking. The Brit designers were certainly very influential in late 60s - early 70s for that cross over from mod chic through granny ethno-princess stuff but it was the American and Italian designers in the late 70s that really defined the 70s style. :adore:Halston would be right up there for me as the one of the most influential

thanks a lot guys....didn't think of all those sixties designers that overlapped into the seventies...
will be checkin all of them out!!!

and if anyone else has anything to say....please do!!

Ossie Clark and Janice Wainwright are some of my personal favourites, and Halston is just so evocative of that period.

The Victoria and Albert museum website could be useful, they have references of the work of most of the main designers that you can copy and paste, and online archives that you can search too. Also the Bath Museum of Costume, Uk website is useful too for images.

I was a teen all thru the 1970's. I would have killed to have had a piece of YSL Rive Gauche anything. But, as for things that I could afford.. Jessica McClintock/Gunne Sax and Frye Boots were more my thing.

Towards the end of the 70's and early on in the eighties I would have sold my mother for a Norma Kamali dress. :P

Back