Trying to find who made this in 1970's London

Nicholas

Registered Guest
Hello,
I have been passed down this very interesting dress/caftan. There have been suggestions that it might be a Thea Porter, but it has no label, and looks nothing like her other works. If anyone has any thoughts DSCF9404.JPG
DSCF9404.JPG
would be most appreciated

Hi, to help us help you determine whether this is home or commercially made please can you show some details of the construction please, such as the hem, interior seams, how the 'feathers/petals' are attached. Please indicate what the outer and lining materials and fibres are. Please use the Fabric resourced and guides on this website if you are not sure.

My first impression is that it might have been a costume for Papageno or Papagena in Mozart's opera The Magic Flute as this is generally quite a weird and wonderful feathered creation. A few I found online used the material strip technique:
73cba2b3dcbd51205dff9b7bce92483f.jpg

Last edited:
Can you take a shot of the interior because that will determine pretty quickly if its a costume or some one-off fashion of some kind... it's wonderful!

Also, can you make some photos of the individual prints? Do you think they are silk-screened? The color appears strong on the chiffon and the fabrics look like Zandra Rhodes. She has done costumes but I didn't think that early.

My mother, who is now 84, purchased this from Thea Porter right after the Thea Porter shop closed, I questioned her on this as it looks nothing like other works by Thea Porter, but she says, she was a regular customer, and after ths hop closed she asked TP to make something, and this is what showed up, and indeed i have another piece from her, by TP, that is labelled.

any help much appreciated

Back