What is this and when is it from?

plousia

Registered Guest
I'm guessing nightgown? I did wonder if it could be some kind of ethnic robe. It has this very strange pocket on the side just under the right sleeve. The sleeve gussets appear to be a later addition, of a different sort of fabric, "crisper" than the main fabric.

Any info on this appreciated, especially dating, what the heck that pocket is for, and what the embroidery is called?

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 55
Hmm yes could be. I am just not sure as my robe looks a bit more feminine and has the embroidery and a different neckline.

Yes I'll have to do some more investigation into those. It's a puzzling garment for sure. What seems strange for both a traditional robe and a vintage nightgown is the neck opening? I wouldn't expect it to be so low and open, although maybe it's worn over something else.

Looks like an Indian kurta to me. A staple garment for both men and women. I'm guessing this is a women's garment based on how it buttons.
Kurta’s are usually knee/calf length, worn over trousers. They al usually have side slits. This looks full length to me?

Good point about the buttons. It could certainly be a woman’s garment. I didn’t mean it was definitely male.

I wondered about Abaya too.

It is full length and there are no side slits. I did think Indian as well but those factors seemed like a negative for that theory. The construction looks handmade/older: unfinished seams, no zigzag stitch or overlocking. I also thought maybe vintage nightgown because of the sleeve gussets, as I'd expect a vintage/antique nightgown to have narrow shoulders & sleeves even if the body is loose, and someone may have modified it later to be able to wear it?

Some more details: the sewing thread from the original part of the garment burn tests as cotton, thread from the sleeve gusset modification burn tests as polyester (and I suspect the gusset material is a cotton/poly blend). The material of the back of the pocket is different from both the main and sleeve gusset fabric, and has a few stains, so it looks like someone added the pocket later and used some material that wasn't up to par for something that would be visible.

Back