Liberty & Co Historic Costume Studio gown

Late to this thread Melinda, but thank you for sharing and for the information that surfaced because of your photos. Your wedding dress is sublime. Is that silk? Did you have to be very careful wearing it? Now I want to see more photos! The back of the dress - the flowers you held with it, etc.? Did the groom wear anything special? Anyway, just lovely and we are glad to have you here.

reply to Amanda

Hi Amanda! My wedding dress is completely silk- charmeuse, lace, embroidery, lining, everything. I really loved it. Wearing it was pretty hard on it, though. I need to have it restored.

I guess you could say the groom wore something special- he's a Marine, and he wore the very special (and formal) mess dress uniform (not the more familiar dress blues). I'm attaching a little pic of us. :-)

The vintage seller I bought my dress from still has pics of it in her museum section. May I post the link? I don't know if she's a VFG member, so I don't want to offend anyone. Let me know if it's okay, and I'll post the direct link, so those who want to see close-up pics can see it.

Melinda

Gorgeous pics Melinda - thank you for sharing. What a wonderful thing to collect! I love Liberty too, although there's very little of it surviving here in Australia outside of museum collections.

Nicole

Good morning, all! I heard back from Liberty's archivist, Anna Buruma, about my gown. I want to share it with you. Here's her response:

Dear Melinda

That is a lovely gown. I haven’t seen one like it before, but I have seen the same green label on a dress at FIT in New York . There are also a number of labels with the same font in silver. I was able to date a cloak with that silver label to 1895. I think it definitely looks like a dress that should be shown to interested museums.

Many thanks for sending me the images.

Best wishes
Anna

FYI

Anyone who is in the UK the V and A is doing a special evening talk thing about Liberty on the 4th July. Here are the details :
Join ‘Cult of Beauty’ exhibition curator Stephen Calloway, and Liberty archivist Anna Baruma as they pay tribute to Liberty, the innovative and historic London department store at the forefront of fashion and decorative art since 1875. Liberty’s artistic heritage is unparalleled: pre-Raphaelite painters were inspired by its far-Eastern ornaments and fabrics, and the store played a vital role in developing both the Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau movements by commissioning bold new designs. In this talk, Members will learn more about Liberty and its role in art history, as well as viewing up-close some priceless items from the Liberty and V&A archives.

It is members only...but just thought people may be interested.

I am sorting out my membership for the V and A on Saturday, so very excited as i will be going!

Back