NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please introduce yourself here! 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I found VFG while searching for information on the Loma Dress Company in NYC. A user "Gossamer" posted the history she uncovered about Loma from one of their labels. I am an Historian who offers live and virtual presentations about the bits of hidden history I've uncovered at Estate/tag/garage sales, etc. I have a "Dear John" letter written by a daughter of the owner in 1942, which paints an amazing story of relationships between soldiers and strangers during the war. The research Gossamer did, has added to my knowledge about the background of the company and the period. I have started a conversation with her in the hopes that I can share my discovery with her. I also come across vintage fashion items (books, papers, photos, etc.) and I look forward to sharing them in the attempts to create more additions to my "Stories from the Attic." You can see more at my site: www.foundastory.com

Hello @Historyhunter—It is so good to have you here! What you are doing seems fascinating, and I can definitely say we'd be intrigued by, and try to help you with, your Stories from the Attic.

Hello ,
I'm kind of new here. I've been registered for a while and did some research, but this is my first time posting. want to know more about this forum

Hello all! I'll try this again. My name is Erika and I love vintage, thrift shopping and just admiring clothing from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Growing up in Los Angeles I have come across some vintage finds while thrift shopping and I'd like help in dating some of them. Thank you for putting together these resources. The label resources was especially helpful for dating other items.
NEW TO THE FORUMS? Please Introduce Yourself Here

If you have just registered why not introduce yourself to the rest of us? Tell us a little about who you are and what you like because we'd all love to get to know you.

Use this thread for posting an introduction to you!!

Also check out the rest of the Public Information Center for frequently asked technical questions to make your stay an easy as well as pleasant one!

Here are a few links to help you get started:

Welcome to the VFG

How to Get Help with Your Vintage Fashions

How to Post a Photo

Hi This is my first post to the forum. I am doing some family research and am trying to find information about the two London fashion houses where my mother worked in the 1920s and 1930s.
After leaving school, she went as an apprentice to Bradleys at 1 Cheptsow Place, London W2. Later, she moved to The White House at 51 New Bond Street. I believe she also did some photographic modelling and was photographed by the Bassano Studio. I have seen hundreds of negatives and am still trying to establish which ones are her. After the War, in about 1948, she went to Johannesburg to open a branch of The White House there.
So I wonder whether there is any way to pull all this together - perhaps by tracking down the archives of the fashion houses?
If anyone has any suggestions for further research - or information - I should be most grateful.

Hi This is my first post to the forum. I am doing some family research and am trying to find information about the two London fashion houses where my mother worked in the 1920s and 1930s.
After leaving school, she went as an apprentice to Bradleys at 1 Cheptsow Place, London W2. Later, she moved to The White House at 51 New Bond Street. I believe she also did some photographic modelling and was photographed by the Bassano Studio. I have seen hundreds of negatives and am still trying to establish which ones are her. After the War, in about 1948, she went to Johannesburg to open a branch of The White House there.
So I wonder whether there is any way to pull all this together - perhaps by tracking down the archives of the fashion houses?
If anyone has any suggestions for further research - or information - I should be most grateful.
Welcome Angela! Can I suggest you start a new post about this in the Q&A forum, where more people are likely to see it, here: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/forums/public-vintage-fashion-ask-questions-get-answers.39/
Just click the link above, and click Post New Thread at the top right.
Some of our members have access to newspaper archives that can provide useful information.

Hello! I've just registered and hae been a fan of late 60s and early 70s styles for awhile. I'm a collector and recently a seller. I just opened up a shop on Instagram and etsy.

I'm here to learn and research and ask questions to help id my beloved items!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello SusieQsie! I had to remove the selling details from your post because we have a rule that no guests may share links to selling sites or items that they are selling. (More about forum rules: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/pages/Welcome-to-the-VFG-Forums-please-read/)

That said, you are most welcome here! I am a big fan of 1972-74 especially—I love the retro nostalgia. Looking forward to seeing your beloved items and helping answer your questions.

Hello SusieQsie! I had to remove the selling details from your post because we have a rule that no guests may share links to selling sites or items that they are selling. (More about forum rules: https://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/pages/Welcome-to-the-VFG-Forums-please-read/)

That said, you are most welcome here! I am a big fan of 1972-74 especially—I love the retro nostalgia. Looking forward to seeing your beloved items and helping answer your questions.
Hi no problem, I see people have links in their bios though, is that allowed?

Hi! I am a long time fan of VFG & appreciate the resource it is for all of us vintage fashion lovers!! I have a pair of antique, wool blend stockings with the owner's name cross stitched across the cuff/tops. I was assuming they were Victorian-Edwardian until I spotted the numbers "1800" woven into the top of one. It made me pause & I am daring to hope that these may possibly date from-- wow- 1800. So I scoured the internet but there are no solid resources. Could anyone point me or advise? I am a dealer & have a lot of books, but stockings & hosiery are not my forte. Thanks all!
Hopefully I am not out of order posting this question here-- I am trying to figure out how to navigate the forums. :)

Good afternoon/evening/morning, Beloved Fellow Members!
How is everyone? My name is Mette, I live near Philadelphia, PA, US, and, only 10 minutes ago, I finally succeeded at creating an account on this amazing website!! Jippi! I attempted becoming a member a few months ago, but something malfunctioned within cyberspace. Right after, my precious, loving, still-young cat, Baby, suddenly and unexpectedly died on September 5. On top of that, my family and I had no idea Baby had died--my stepfather found her poor dead body on October 2. She died fewer than 2 weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. I'm sure anyone reading this gets it when I say that doing anything but trying to keep going, grieve, etc, fell by the wayside for a while. I just adopted a new, young cat, fewer than 3 weeks ago, named Stormy. All is looking up!
Anyway, as soon as I successfully confirmed my registration, then successfully logged into this site, WOW!!! Immediately, I was blissfully flooded, for the first time in my life, with, "Hallelujah! I am finally home--among people who share the same passionate, authentic, dedicated, important, and wonderfully-joyful interest in antique and vintage clothing, accessories, fabrics, sewing patterns, and certainly much other fascinating areas of our world/community! Thank you, Lord--at long last, I no longer feel alone!" I'm so grateful to everyone who belongs to the Vintage Fashion Guild--every single one of you all, no matter where you are located/gender/age, tra la la. Thank you all so much for allowing me to join--and for free! I've been dedicated, since 1994, to the joy, fun, and excitement that vintage and antique clothing have given me all these years. It has always been, and shall forever remain, an intensely-meaningful privilege, since Senior Year in high school, living/dressing/learning about/caring for/locating/obtaining nearly anything which truly is authentic vintage or antique garments, and much else. Today, I'm all the way at age 43 (!). At this point in life, my collection has grown so tremendously that I often refer to my antique and vintage garments as, "The Museum, a viewpoint I realized many years ago. And I have had very many happy and enlightening times all these years whenever I've spent any time engaging in vintage + antique activities of every sort. But...until today, I was alone in our world. I have attempted to bond with a number of others, since 17, in the form of talking about the clothing, etc, I was head-over-heels in love with from Day 1. Unfortunately, until today, I never became friends at all with one single person to whom I'd disclosed this amazing passion. I don't hold that former loneliness, nor any emotional deprivation against anyone. Whoever might be reading this, please know that. Life is sometimes unfair/disappointing/painful/not what one expected it would be. I've always been aware of that, and never attributed my failures at finding others, with whom I hoped to spend time participating together in vintage's/antique's usual, super-fun activities. I was just unlucky, just as so many other people in this world end up being. No big deal, right?
But yay! I finally stepped up to the plate today! I am so blessed and happy, now that I can join in the forums on this miraculous website, run by what

Good afternoon/evening/morning, Beloved Fellow Members!
How is everyone? My name is Mette, I live near Philadelphia, PA, US, and, only 10 minutes ago, I finally succeeded at creating an account on this amazing website!! Jippi! I attempted becoming a member a few months ago, but something malfunctioned within cyberspace. Right after, my precious, loving, still-young cat, Baby, suddenly and unexpectedly died on September 5. On top of that, my family and I had no idea Baby had died--my stepfather found her poor dead body on October 2. She died fewer than 2 weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. I'm sure anyone reading this gets it when I say that doing anything but trying to keep going, grieve, etc, fell by the wayside for a while. I just adopted a new, young cat, fewer than 3 weeks ago, named Stormy. All is looking up!
Anyway, as soon as I successfully confirmed my registration, then successfully logged into this site, WOW!!! Immediately, I was blissfully flooded, for the first time in my life, with, "Hallelujah! I am finally home--among people who share the same passionate, authentic, dedicated, important, and wonderfully-joyful interest in antique and vintage clothing, accessories, fabrics, sewing patterns, and certainly much other fascinating areas of our world/community! Thank you, Lord--at long last, I no longer feel alone!" I'm so grateful to everyone who belongs to the Vintage Fashion Guild--every single one of you all, no matter where you are located/gender/age, tra la la. Thank you all so much for allowing me to join--and for free! I've been dedicated, since 1994, to the joy, fun, and excitement that vintage and antique clothing have given me all these years. It has always been, and shall forever remain, an intensely-meaningful privilege, since Senior Year in high school, living/dressing/learning about/caring for/locating/obtaining nearly anything which truly is authentic vintage or antique garments, and much else. Today, I'm all the way at age 43 (!). At this point in life, my collection has grown so tremendously that I often refer to my antique and vintage garments as, "The Museum, a viewpoint I realized many years ago. And I have had very many happy and enlightening times all these years whenever I've spent any time engaging in vintage + antique activities of every sort. But...until today, I was alone in our world. I have attempted to bond with a number of others, since 17, in the form of talking about the clothing, etc, I was head-over-heels in love with from Day 1. Unfortunately, until today, I never became friends at all with one single person to whom I'd disclosed this amazing passion. I don't hold that former loneliness, nor any emotional deprivation against anyone. Whoever might be reading this, please know that. Life is sometimes unfair/disappointing/painful/not what one expected it would be. I've always been aware of that, and never attributed my failures at finding others, with whom I hoped to spend time participating together in vintage's/antique's usual, super-fun activities. I was just unlucky, just as so many other people in this world end up being. No big deal, right?
But yay! I finally stepped up to the plate today! I am so blessed and happy, now that I can join in the forums on this miraculous website, run by what I've considered, for longer than I can remember, as the most useful, important, largest, best-educated vintage and antique organization on Earth!!! May God bless you all, and thank you for reading this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back